Monday, May 10, 2010

Random baby recommendations

Below, in no particular order, are recommendations of baby related things:
  • Taking Charge of Your Fertility - this book is surprisingly well written for an expository for how to conceive.  The three magical words worked for us within a month of trying - slippery egg whites.
  • Nursing Mothers Handbook - a good overview of breastfeeding that is not written by a breastfeeding nazi (of which there are a lot out there - consider yourself warned if you elect to go down this route).  The birth is a sprint, and breastfeeding is a marathon.
  • Dr. TC Chang - my OB/GYN who is like your super smart older brother.  Has a great bedside manner.  Not alarmist.  A lovely guy who loves what he does.  I could not have asked for a better doctor.
  • Hypnobirthing - A good idea and practice that I did not use at all during my birth.  The relaxation techniques are more useful during breastfeeding (I like to call it hypnoboobing).
  • babycenter.com -Seemingly a better baby resource than a everyone-has-a-voice-including-your-worst-case-scenario pregnancy resource
  • Medela Pump In Style Advanced - don't beat around the bush and just get this pump.  I should own stock in Medela considering how much stuff of theirs I have  bought
  • Nice bath soaps - there is little luxury in this period so a good bath gel makes a big difference in your spirits.  I now like Body Shop's Japanese Cherry Blossom Bath Gel.
  • Umma - Mother and Child - the most sensible lactation consult we have found.  Go early and often.
  • My Brest Friend nursing pillow - the 'shelf' helps but is even better with the occasional pillow underneath
  • Javanese Massage - nice to have someone come over and massage me for $40US a day.  Could not commit to the belly wraps.  I guess I'll need to get more exercise later.
  • Yoga with Colleen - in the end the pregnancy yoga was MUCH more helpful with the birth than the hypnobirthing was, especially building my thigh muscles up so I could squat appropriately while delivering... on the stairs.

Random pictures are below:

 
My feet in a fat suit again.  Apparently I have slightly low iron causing these tree trunks.

My bound belly, courtesy of Indonesian massage.  The Southeast Asia version of postpartum Spanx.  I couldn't really commit to it as it interfered with the sacrosanct breastfeeding.

 
Our utterly neglected dog Bucky, photo courtesy of fabulous Em.

 
Charlotte in the bouncy chair from Shirley!

No comments:

Post a Comment