Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Week 148 and Week 61.5 - Chinese New Year and the Pointer Sister

We are at the tail end of Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year) - easily the biggest holiday of the year.  It is definitely the Christmas of Asia.  We did not go anywhere for this holiday and it suits us just FINE - as we have young kids and, like Christmas, CNY is an expensive time to travel.  So Matt and I are spending some quality time with the kids (Matt realized today he had his first amount of time without Char in the house, maybe ever).  I did manage to perm my hair - which I think will be fine but at the moment is going through some frizzy moments thanks to relentless rain and its subsequent shortness because it has been so darn rainy.  Matt and I had a heart-to-heart last night - basically he doesn't like my hair short.  I told him I did not like his short either :).

We celebrated Chinese New Year in Matt's office - having some Yu Sheng (a local festive gesture where you eat this yummy honey/salmon salad afterwards) and I tried hard for Charlotte not to destroy everyone's desks.  I do concede that those self inking chops are fun...

Matt was traveling to Manila at the end of last week and I did not get Sophia when she fussed overnight... and now she is back to settling herself back to sleep.  Sometimes there is some midnight or 5AM yelping, but for the most part she is back to her champion sleeping ways.

Sophia likes to walk to the park by herself these days.  It is a meandering stroll - but one she does alone which is great.  She is also pointing a lot - I need to try to get a picture of this.

Sophia also turned 14 months this week.  We celebrated by doing, well, nothing.  She is pointing a lot these days - just pointing at the dog, random pens... there is often some commentary, much of which is incomprehensible at this stage.  Her 'dog' is though...

Speaking of dog - Bucky is not doing so well these days.  His breathing is so labored we don't think he is able to sleep at night.  The growth in his jaw is getting larger and seems to be obstructing his windpipe.  He is eating ok though, but his hind and front legs are giving way occasionally... it may just be sooner than later that we have to ensure he is not suffering anymore.


We noticed Charlotte is grumpy when Matt takes her to swimming, something that even Coach noticed.  So two weeks ago I took her swimming... and she was a champ.  Responsive.  A star student.  I lamented that this was supposed to be a father/daughter activity... last week I tagged along while Matt took her swimming (in the rainiest of days - it invariably rains like clockwork half an hour before Charlotte's Saturday swim lesson) as I had just gotten my perm earlier in the day (oh to be a slave to vanity)... and she was FINE.  Just fine.  I don't know why she is such a sourpuss with just daddy around.  But I am happy to tag along to make the swimming thing worthwhile.  Charlotte also totally milks us for French Fries once her lesson is done.  Dutifully we pull into the McDonald's drive through for her weekly fix.

Sophia is at an age where she can egg Charlotte on - this has begun to manifest itself via screaming matches.  This is extremely funny before becoming annoying - especially while I am driving...

Matt and I are watching season 1 of Homeland right now.  Are there any other good shows we should be watching?

Sophia mimics Charlotte's signature photo move:
_DSC4241

Sophia likes pulling the alligator:
_DSC4245

_DSC4243

Daddy's office:
_DSC4248

_DSC4249

_DSC4254

_DSC4255

Family shot with my new 'do:
_DSC4262

Time to start purging the stroller collection - Sophia likes to walk to the park now!
_DSC4268

Char is very serious with the scooter:
_DSC4269 

_DSC4277

Post rain sunset shot:
_DSC4273-2

Nice one of Charlotte - a rarity!
_DSC4293

I love this photo:
_DSC4272-2

Old Man Bucks:
_DSC4296

Out to dim sum lunch at the Grand Mercure Hotel:
_DSC4316

_DSC4321

_DSC4327

_DSC4333

Notice the foot placement:
_DSC4325

Charlotte in a two-mood:
_DSC4294

Being comforted by Daddy:
_DSC4295

Here are a great series of pictures of Charlotte taking pictures of Sophia - so cute that Sophia poses for her big sister!
_DSC4297-2

_DSC4301

_DSC4302

_DSC4303

_DSC4304

_DSC4306



1 comment:

  1. Other shows to watch: Downton Abbey, Scandal!
    I just started Game of Thrones

    ReplyDelete