Thursday, December 3, 2009

This town needs an edema

I am a recent graduate into flat shoes.  These I do not generally like for a variety of reasons, most importantly, a reminder of how short I am.  But flats seem sensible while pregnant, so I have invested in two nearly identical pairs of black flats with decorative cord tie bows that don't highlight my bunions too flagrantly.  Sigh.  My saving grace is that I can wear them with casual clothes while not worrying about the (recently) sad state of my pedicures.

Yesterday morning while in the shower (and suffering perhaps the worst jet lag on earth) I noticed that I was puffy in the ankles.  Blah.  I searched on babycenter.com (stay focused, Ho, focused) and found that this condition is called edema and it generally inflicts its ugly head (or feet!) much later in pregnancy.  So I guess I am an edema overachiever.  This was a start of a day that involved work and some minor begging of my doctor to allow a minor dose of sleeping medication (which he said no).  Thankfully I slept 10 hours last night and feel almost human again.  And my ankles are back to normal.  Yay!

2 comments:

  1. The swelling sucks! Use it as an excuse to go get a prenatal massage at a fancy spa. Also, Matt should give you daily foot massages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Repetto ballet flats from Paris. A lot of girls say it gives good support. They are now available in Singapore. Don't ask me why I know this things! Fx

    ReplyDelete