Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July

We just got back celebrating our first 4th of July from "Up North" - the Northwoods of Wisconsin.  This was my first 4th in the US since 2002.  It was great fun!  Matt has this lovely close family and it is one big slumber party at his paternal Grandmother's cottage on Lake Nakomas in Tomahawk.  Tomahawk is where my old boss Kris is from - and I finally got to see her in her hometown.  I have tried to meet up with her for the last couple of years when I visit Matt's family.  We actually were on the same flight once (a 50 person flight) and we didn't even know!  I was unable to connect with Kris before going up and looked up her last name in the local phone book at Matt's Grandma's cottage (the phone book - both yellow and white pages - was 100 pages total!).  There were 20 people with her last name - so I called the first one, described Kris as there were 3 Krises, and was given Kris's dad's number.  I dialed the number and got Kris on the phone.  I honestly have not looked up anyone in a physical phone book in... years.

Anyway - we ate a lot of chocolate and burgers and chatted and rode on a speedboat and ate hamburgers and watched Matt's dad fireworks show in the evening which was spectacular.  Charlotte met her super cute second cousin Brooks and they wore matching outfits on the 4th and then it rained.  And rained.  And rained. 

I made this toffee and it was a hit!  This is such a great recipe - and I love that you can buy slivered almonds at the store for under 10 bucks!  God bless America!


A good time was had by all!

Some pictures:

Brooks in his mini pool:


Charlotte with Great Grandma Drake:


Matching outfits:


Family picture (why am I still wearing this dress?  I gave birth in this dress for goodness sake.  Note to self-  buy new clothes while in America):


4 generations of Drakes:


July Drake birthdays:

No comments:

Post a Comment