Friday, July 16, 2010

Breastfeeding emancipation proclamation

While in Singapore, we never really left the house.  Maybe for a meal but maybe for more than a couple of hours.  This was largely driven by the old ball and chain - breastfeeding or more notably - pumping.  Our trip to America corresponded with the end of my breastfeeding - and wow do I feel free!  The idea of carting around an unwieldy breast pump (along with a 110V transformer) as we shop for appliances makes me want to vomit.  Nothing liberated our parenthood more than our 24 hour journey to America.  I was nervous about spending all of a day (or more) with Charlotte, as Imee is such a help and admittedly a crutch.  But we did it - and I feel so much more confident about being a parent and troubleshooting her, so to speak.  Now 24 hours alone... that is a whole other ballgame that has yet to be played.  I would say bring it on... but I wouldn't really mean it.

And on with the liberation - I have now changed her diaper on the floor of a barbeque restaurant toilet, over a trash can, and on a stand alone freezer in an appliance showroom.  And throughout this I realize that my squatting skills have utterly and totally evaporated since the event that was Charlotte's birth. 

O well.  I guess you win some and lose some.

1 comment: