Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pour some sugar on me!

Went to the doc this morning and took the glucose test for gestational diabetes.  I made this awesome loaf of bread last night because I am a glutton for punishment and I couldn't eat it once it was fresh out of the oven because I was within my fasting window.  Dumb dumb....

Anyway, I didn't drink or eat anything since 10PM yesterday.  I got to the doc around 9 and then peed and got pricked for blood.  At this point I was praying that this test would go well because the idea of pricking myself on a regular basis is gruesome to me.

I drank syrupy sugary glucose drink which looked like what you attach to the soda water spigot to make Orange Fanta.  It was not wholly unpleasant.

More pee and pricking an hour later and more pee and pricking an hour after that.  I caught up on some Poisonwood Bible and American Vogue.  I spoke with a lovely British midwife.  I got a veggie French bread pizza at 11 when all of the tests were over.

 I am diabetes free!  Yay!  I still have to curtail my sugar for my health but it is my vice of choice.  Blah.

I put on 3kg over the last 4 weeks which is total and utter craziness (and I partially credit Christmas).  Kumquat is 882g which is shy of 2 pounds.  I guess saying that I am eating for 2 is a bit misleading, though I luckily didn't get a flogging from the doctor.

We did our first 4D scan today which was cool (I wonder what the 4th dimension is.  Time?  Smell?).  You can make out the chubster cheeks on Kumquat which are so darn cute.  Both mom and dad had chubster cheeks at birth, which mom is still trying to get rid of and dad got rid of 36 hours after delivery.  Kumquat hides her face with her hand though.  Modest or shy?  I think mom and dad are both shy too!  Maybe the 4D wand is too bright.

Need to figure out how to upload the 4D video (where I am convinced she is punching herself in the face).  In the meantime here is the token decent ultrasound picture from today. 


Still kind of alienesque - but check out that belly!

 
Here is a screenshot from the 4D.  Maybe we woke her up?  Check out that cheek definition... :)


1 comment:

  1. I told you not to worry about the diabetes thing!

    Hello Cutie!

    ReplyDelete