Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bread challenge!


My sister challenged me to make bread.  I finally accepted the challenge, after pulling out the Le Creuset (thanks sis for that).  Although she uses the Sullivan Street Bakery recipe I have had good success with this one from the Artisan's Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book.  It took a bit longer than I expected (I sort of glossed over the 2nd rise bit) - so I started around 6 (on a school night) and was done near to 11.    Silly me, I had the gestational diabetes test the next morning and had to start fasting at 10PM.  Matt came home late but stayed up to have a slice.  I had some the next morning and it was bloody GOOD.  It lasted for a week because we double bagged the increasingly smaller (oxymoron?) loaf in the freezer. 

Next time I would try to put the 2nd rise in a more cylindrical container so it looks like a boule instead of a big calzone.  But that dutch oven trick - that is the stuff to make the bread all crusty and delish!

Will be making again soon :).

No comments:

Post a Comment