Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bucky Musings from Nov 5

Imee is gone for a week, which is good training to see how independent we can be without her. I think if I graded myself I would rate probably a 6 out of 10. I get up early (6:30 today) to walk Bucky and feed him. What I was not expecting was for him to be digging up the garden. I guess this is what it is like to have a kid – expect the unexpected. So I spent some time lecturing him (he definitely knows he has done something wrong – his tail-between-his-legs = just sitting subserviently. He kept on sitting that it was difficult for me to lightly spank him on the butt (perhaps he knew it was coming?). It is weird – I think that I am more evolved than my parents but I can definitely foresee even with my brief experience with Bucky that I will be the bad cop when we have kids. It is really difficult for me to be all unconditional love after some transgression has occurred. Matt is really good with this – he knows when to discipline and when not to. My automatic reaction is to discipline – it is hard to rationalize not to. I grew up in a house where there was a lot of disciplining I guess I probably derive some strange comfort from it. At any rate, I am not sure if Bucky is acting out or what. We are leaving him alone for the longest lapses we have since getting him and he threw up yesterday (which was just weird- he doesn’t usually do that) and digging. Is he digging for attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment