Monday, June 28, 2010

Baby jet lag

It is and was a tad stressful to fly with Charlotte.  She was a big hit among the mainland Chinese women for some reason while in Hong Kong's airport.  We were lucky to fly in business - but the other patrons certainly didn't feel so lucky sitting with us when we sat down.  She slept most of the time and with the exception of one minor wet diaper meltdown (that unfortunately coincided with the longest and least necessary seatbelt sign period ever) she was generally pretty quiet.  She was on an every 4 hour feeding schedule for the most part.  We are not so used to sleeping so close to baby (we are not co-sleepers as she is a bit of a squirm worm) - so it was hard to find the right position for her - Matt flew nose to nose with her and I flew with her in the Bjorn because I didn't like her to feel like she was falling (which brings new meaning to the idea of falling and then jerking in your sleep).  We settled on using the Snuggle Nest we brought on board and setting it at my feet and I slept with a slightly compromised position (but nothing to really prevent my sleep).  I kept waking up to make sure I didn't kick her to the floor accidentally (the jerking in your sleep thing).  But that was a long window of sleep - 2 and a half hours for a total of 3 hours on the flight overall.  Not entirely glorious as a singleton but seemingly ok in the new regime of parenthood (on a total aside - I have been a really nervous sleeper since Charlotte has been born.  Often I awake in a psychological 'cold sweat' - as if I have forgotten some pill to take for Charlotte, etc.  On the plane I awoke and thought someone stole my wedding ring from my hand!  It took me a while to realize I didn't bring my ring as it is still too tight on my arthritic fingers).

Becky picked us up at the airport (which was fantastic) and drove us to Madison/Middleton, our home for the next 4 days.  Charlotte was up till around 5 this morning local time and is now sleeping at 9:40 in the morning, though we need to get her up so she can adjust to the local time.  Matt and I have decided that baby jet lag is FAR far worse than normal jet lag.  I have had 7 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours.  Thank goodness for undereye concealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment